Sunday, May 17, 2009

This lil caterpillar

I saw this green lime caterpillar at the far left corner of my garden yesterday morning. It must have fallen off from a plant. By evening, it had crawled to the middle of my garden. This morning, I spotted it on my lime plant across the patio. It's a long distance crawl for this little guy.

It was busy eating early this morning. Soon, it will become a chrysalis like its friend here before emerging as a beautiful lime butterfly.

I spotted another tiny caterpillar on the same plant. Lime caterpillars start off as little brown blobs that resemble bird droppings. They soon grow into fat green caterpillars after feeding voraciously on the leaves of the lime plant.

Oh, JC asked about lime butterflies. They are attractive fast fliers, mostly black with large yellow markings on the uppersides. The underside is predominantly yellow with black markings.

On a separate note, my alfalfa sprouts have grown taller. They should be ready for eating in a day or two.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooooooh! That li'l caterpillar looks like a cash register to my son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I had so many tiny ones just 2 weeks ago, now they are gone. Have to wait for the butterflies to hatch and lay more eggs. Then we must meet up to barter.

    ReplyDelete