Monday, June 28, 2010

Recycling

It's lychee season. I can't tell you enough how much I love this sweet and juicy fruit. I can eat loads of them! I even like the baskets that the lychees come in.

You see, these beautifully woven baskets are just perfect for growing vegetables. It's such a waste to throw them away.

I line the baskets with discarded wool from my son's aquarium. This will prevent soil from falling through the holes.

Then I top up with garden soil and it's ready for planting.

I'm growing cherry tomatoes in these 2 baskets.

I am planning to grow leafy vegetables in the other four.

5 comments:

  1. Oh.. this is so funny Ting... I have the exact same baskets.. and I use them to store my garden tools.. I actually know the kind of lychee that come in this kind of baskets - those are the nicest type of lychee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the China ones with the tiny seed. This time, I take great care in washing the skin to prevent my son from getting an allergy attack again.

    I also collected some baskets from the fruit stall. They were about to throw away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These baskets are pretty. What a great idea to recycle the wool! How come I never thought of this idea. Now, this get me thinking about the used chinese new year gift hamper baskets too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea for lychee baskets!

    ReplyDelete