Thursday, April 29, 2010

Veggie update

Thanks to plenty of rain, my garden is looking lush and green again. It's pretty good timing really because the press was here recently to do a feature on vegetable growers. Thankfully my plants looked green and healthy, I didn't have to dig a hole in the ground to hide my face.

I've always been passionate about growing things and I'm reluctant to throw seeds or cuttings away. You can find lychee and bittergourd plants, sweet potato vine and yam all over my garden. I even grow aquarium plants that my son discarded from his tank.

Some of the bittergourd vines that were so healthy last week are beginning to show signs of distress. I often have trouble with keeping vines in a container. They look so good one day and just wither and die the next. I hope some of the bittergourd plants (below) will survive and bear me some fruits!

I have a pot of chives in my garden too. It's not easy to grow chives from seeds. The ones I have were dug out from my dad's vegetable patch. I like the idea of harvesting my own home grown chive for eating.

The sweet potato cuttings have also flourished into an attractive plant. If you want a hardy, dummy-proof plant that won't die on you, try growing sweet potato vines (below).

The lettuce are doing better than I had expected. The ones below with a reddish tinge is Red Rapid.

These skinny ones below are Georgia lettuce.

These are basil seedlings that I sowed some weeks ago from the seeds given by my friend. It's the first time I am growing basil from seeds and I'm pretty surprised at how quickly they grow.

The prettiest vegetables in my garden are the mustard green. I won't say they're the tastiest but they score well in the looks department. They're robust and showy, and so hardy too.

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice cage for your bittergourd plant :-)

    Love your idea of growing vege for yourself. This is the safest way to guarantee what you take is really good food.

    ReplyDelete