Saturday, May 1, 2010

Echeveria

I have always been attracted to Echeveria, a large genus of succulents in the Crassulaceae family, native from Mexico to northwestern South America.

Some years ago, I bought some for the office but the pretty rosettes grew tall and spindly until they lost their balance and fell over. They don't do well indoors.

I've read that Echeveries need bright light, heavy soil and excellent drainage. Yet I am also a little confused because they are also known to be able to tolerate drought, shade and frost.

Recently I couldn't resist bringing some home after a visit to World Farm. My biggest mistake was to drench them until the soil became too soggy. When their leaves started falling out, I quickly repotted the healthy ones in loose soil and denied them water for days.

Bingo! They began thriving in the shady corner. Instead of growing upwards like my previous ones, these grow sideways without losing their shape.

One is even producing little babies (see below), so they are sometimes known as hens and chicks.

I am not expecting any flowers from them, I am just happy that they are healthy again. Here are some closeups.



Aren't they pretty?

No comments:

Post a Comment