Thursday, August 11, 2011

Flowering season @ office

The huge amount of direct sunlight our office garden gets is quite enviable really. While my home patio is lush and green from the lack of sunlight, it's exactly the opposite scenario at our office.

The frangipani trees at home have not flowered in years but the one in my office is constantly flaunting large bunches of flowers.

Bougainvillea plants thrive in hot and bright places, so our office patio is the perfect place to grow them. Given our extremely hot weather these days, the plants are bursting with red petals.


Needless to say, it would be a waste of time and space to grow them at home. Luckily I have the best of both worlds.

7 comments:

  1. hi! i've just run through your posts and i am so delighted & impresses to find someone who LOVES plants! and in singapore, of all places! how did you develop that interest n manage to plant so many things in tiny singapore?? can i come visit next time i'm in sg?? what do you do about those white flies? i usually cut off the leaves n stems but if there are a lot, i bag them in plastic and elave them to die, including the plant so tt the flies won't spread to other plants.

    a study showed that there are 7 types of ppl according to their interests.ppl who love plants are one of them and they predictably are also very environment conscious. i bet you are. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKC - Yes, very lucky to have a farm, house and office that allow me to grow pretty much everything I want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malar - Indeed, Bougainvillea flowers are so cheerful to look at. Our highways in Singapore are lined with them and during the hot season, the roads are just ablaze with colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. terri - Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm a big fan of yours!!

    I grew up in a kampung, so I was always surrounded by plants. My parents own an orchid farm and they grow lots of vegetables around the yard. You're most welcome to visit the farm or my patio garden when you're in Singapore. I know you come by quite regularly.

    Just drop me an email when you're planning a visit and I'll welcome you with open arms.

    Oh, I am terrible at managing white flies. I don't use any chemical in my garden. When I see white flies, I cut the infected plants down mercilessly until they are botak. That is also the reason why I'm not growing so much edibles now because they're just magnets for white flies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blooms posted. The bougainvillaes are so vibrant looking. The blooms would be a lovely enjoyment for those who are tired with work and need a break! How nice to have such a garden in the office, Ting!

    ReplyDelete