Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Growing fig at home






















Fresh figs are expensive at our stores simply because they are too delicate to transport across the globe. Eating fig is almost a luxury here. Not only are they rarely available, they are usually not lusciously sweet.

Before my friend gave me his fig plant, I had never imagined they'll do so well in Singapore. The plant I have is just about 1.5 metre tall and it takes up very little space. It doesn't require any special attention or care. In less than a year, I have harvested about a dozen plump and delicious figs.

If you're a fig lover like me, you should start growing your own plant at home.

7 comments:

  1. I just started mine 2 weeks ago. Now im patiently waiting for its fruits.. can u pls share the soil mix. Mine is in the polybag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you repot into a big pot. Use a soil mix (like burnt clay and sand and compost) that provides good drainage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy reading your blog. What fertiliser do you use on your fig plant to produce so many fruits? I was inspired and went to buy rocket and chye sim seeds, can you tell me how to grow them? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what variety of fig it is? I've heard some of them need wasps to bear fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powderblue - I use chicken manure and egg shells. Sometimes, I add organic liquid fertliser made from seaweed (from Italy).

    Vegetables - just sow direclty onto soil that provide good drainage. Plant in an area with sunlight and give fertiliser every 3 weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel - I am not sure what variety it is as it was given by a friend. I think this kind does not require wasp though I have lots of polinators in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know where can i get a fig plant like yours?

    ReplyDelete