Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wild brinjal

Recently my parents served an interesting stir-fried dish during dinner. Initially, I eyed the plate of little green berries with suspicion but I fell in love with the soft texture and mild flavour almost immediately. The taste is like soft mushy green peas. They're the fruits of the tall, wild brinjal plants growing profusely in my parent's farm.

According to my father, they grew from bird droppings. From one plant, we now have a field of them. The plants are big and thorny, not exactly ideal for any garden. That's why they thrive in the wild bushland. The birds love them, now we do too.

5 comments:

  1. BlurTing, I realised that gourd/vegetable flowers do look alike. One thing I learn from farmers is they always know what's edible and nice to eat. I have a friend whose parents stays in Cameron Highlands and have a farm there. She often mention vegetables that I am not familiar with. Anyway, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if these brinjals are similar to the ones served with Thai Green Curry? They look like peas too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - There are lots of edible vegetables and fruits that do not make it to the market. So I guess the farmers get to eat alot more exotic stuff cos they can grow them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J.C - That's it. I think they're the same!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I was a the Thai supermarket this afternoon and indeed, the wild brinjal berries are on sale there.

    ReplyDelete